You’d like to home grown tomatoes but you’re short on space? Then this unusual growing method is for you!
It’s proven to be very effective and if done properly can greatly increase the number of tomatoes you can grow in a limited space.
Here is how to proceed :
- Buy five gallon plastic buckets. They are easy to find in local stores.
- Cut a three inch hole in the bottom center.Then drill two1/4” holes several inches down from the top edge of the bucket. These are for the chord that will hold the bucket up.
- Place several layers of newspaper in the bottom of the bucket and fill about half way with quality soil mix.
- Cut a length of 3/16” nylon cord about 4′ long and run it through the two holes you drilled in the bucket sides. This will be the support.
- Now lay the bucket on its side and cut a slit in the newspaper through the hole in the bottom of the bucket.
- Remove the tomato plant carefully from its container and insert between the slit into the bucket. The newspaper will help retain the soil until the plant is established.
- When the plant is securely in place you can hang the bucket and fill the rest of it with soil.
- Once the plant gets established you will need to water at least once a day, twice if it’s extremely hot and dry. A water soluble fertilizer can be applied approximately every two weeks during the growing season.