A natural pool or organic swimming pool sometimes requires less work than a traditional one: no masonry, no chemical equipment for water treatment, etc. However, it is preferable that its design is studied or carried out by a professional landscaping. What are the questions you need to ask yourself before you start? What are the main stages of its construction? And why is it better to get help from a professional?
- Building a Natural Pool: Before You Begin
- Natural Pool Construction steps
- Construction of a natural swimming pool: call a professional
Building a Natural Pool: Before You Begin
Before embarking on the construction of your natural swimming pool, it is advisable to think carefully about its design and to pinpoint your needs and desires.
Before building, think of:
- You document on natural swimming pools, how they work and how they maintain
- Choose a waterproofing technique (membrane, clay, cement)
- Reflect on the layout around (wooden beach, house)
- See where to put the overflow of earth resulting from the earthwork
- Inform you about the possible administrative steps
- Request multiple quotes and compare prices
Natural Pool Construction steps
Once you have developed your project, you must think about laying your natural pool. Mounting can take time because it is necessary to let nature develop and the ecosystem to be created. Here are the various stages of construction that can not be ignored:
- Choose a spot so that a part of your pool is in the shade because the sun’s rays favor the proliferation of algae
- Choose a clay soil preferably
Perform earthwork and stabilize soil
- Dig with a mini excavator at different depths. Dig deeper into the bathing area (about 2 m) and shallower for the lagoon (about 1.20 m) to accommodate the plants.
- Separate the two basins by a small wall rising to 10 cm below the surface.
Install the waterproofing membrane
- Apply the waterproofing membrane that will form the bottom and sides of the pool and cover the bottom of a bed with volcanic rocks or gravel.
- The ideal solution is to fill with rainwater or from a well.
Choosing and planting the lagoon
- Choose suitable plants that will filter by assimilating the organic matter present in the pool water.
First of all, it is essential to choose plants adapted to the climate of your region. It is a precaution to be taken in order to avoid plants rotting or die to cause an imbalance of the ecosystem of your basin.
In your natural pond, you must find two types of plants: purifying and oxygenates.
For the decoration, we can add a few floating plants. Find out the different roles of plants in your natural pool.
The purifying plants
They are planted in the purification zone of the basin. Their role is to eliminate toxic substances from the water.
How? : It is thanks to the thousands of small bacteria that are attached to the roots of these plants that the water purifies. These microorganisms will absorb organic residues and transform them into nutrients in order to maintain the balance of the ecosystem. On the other hand, it is also these plants that will ingest nitrogen, phosphate (at the origin of the development of algae) or ammonium that may be present in the pool.
What varieties? : The water hyacinth or the Alisma have excellent purifying qualities and in addition, during the flowering period, these species beautify the basin.
Phragmites, a kind of large reeds, are suitable for lovers of high plants.
Caltha palustris, a plant that acts especially in early spring, will bring a bright yellow touch to the pelvis.
Aquatic mint, in addition to these proven purifying capacities, will bring a fresh wind to your zone of purification (it will tend to spread quickly and invade the zone, it is important to control its proliferation and to tear The new invasive shoots).
The oxygens plants
They are planted in the regeneration zone of the basin (also called lagoon).
Their role: to ensure life in the basin
How? : A natural swimming pool, unlike a chlorinated one, is a place of life. The microorganisms present in the basin are breathing, so it is important to constantly replenish the water with oxygen. And again, it is the plants that will have this role.
What varieties? :
Hippuris is an effective oxygenating plant located on the edge of the lagoon.
The Elodée also has a high yield of oxygen production and it is a robust plant!
Aquatic buttercup, potamot, water crassette, … the varieties are not lacking, it is up to you to make your choice.
The decorative plants
They put themselves in the bathing area.
Their role: the decor, they are there “to make beautiful“!
What varieties? : The water lilies, floating on the water bring a touch of lightness to the basin.
The papyrus and the lotus will also find their place in your pool.
Vary the kinds of plants, put on color, and do not forget to take care of them, because they are the ones who do most of the maintenance work of your pool! Also, be careful not to let the plants too invade the basin, maintain them regularly.
Install a circulation pump
- It is placed in the deepest part of the basin. It prevents the water from stagnating by favoring the exchange between the two basins.
Before you can fully enjoy your natural swimming pool, you will have to wait 4 months so that the plants grow and the biological equilibrium is put in place.
It is also possible to build a natural concrete pool. The construction is almost identical to a “classic” swimming pool but the filtration system is natural thanks to plants that purify the water.
Construction of a natural swimming pool: call a professional
Around the main stages of construction, other works are slipping: the plan of the pool can provide a water circuit and the installation of a pump to help the water to regenerate more effectively, for example. You should also know that gardening is an important step in the construction. It is advisable to choose the plants carefully and dispose of them judiciously so that they bring you all the expected benefits.
It is for this type of specificity that the accompaniment of a specialist will be valuable. The construction itself is not difficult, but the construction and maintenance of a natural swimming pool may seem complex at first.